Thursday, February 27, 2014

Finally I get it! Intentional Sacrifice

The blog topic poses the question what will "intentional sacrifice" look like for you after this study and do I believe that is possible. I could just end this blog right now with a resounding "Yes, I know it's possible and it will look like finally listening to God".

This wouldn't have always been my answer. I had gotten so discouraged that I put away my "Weight Watcher key chain" that marked weight loss milestones. I deleted or destroyed any record of past weight loss because it was too depressing to realize I had lost 70 lbs, gained back 40, lost that 40 and gained back 35. I could only maintain the lifestyle changes for so long before something would send me back to the cycle of overindulging.
                                                                

God prepared my heart for months to be fertile soil to accept the seeds that He was planting in me. He grew those seeds into plants that began to sink their roots into the soil of His word and truth. When the statement was made on the MTC blog "I believe this time will be different" I grabbed hold of that truth and made it my own. This time IS different because

I am different

My first small act of intentional sacrifice began with being willing to give up soda. That step has led to 2 months of making one wise choice after another. I no longer have it tucked in the back of my mind "once I lose this weight I can go back to eating like I used to". I no longer believe that I can have my metabolism of 30 yrs ago back. I cannot eat whatever I want and maintain by exercising. I no longer feel deprived. I no longer feel worthless and unloved. I no longer feel that food will sustain me, numb me or comfort me. Although this is the 3rd time that I have joined the MTC OBS community I feel like it is the first time that I have been listening! It's definitely the first time that I've been yielded to God. 
I was made for more than being stuck in a cycle of shame and hiding. God has brought words of worth, love and gentleness into my life.

My "how to" is by making a plan the night before. I have it mapped out exactly what I will eat for the next day. As I eat it, I check mark it off. If something comes up that I desperately want I simply tell myself that I can put it on my plan for the next day. So far I've only done that once and thoroughly enjoyed not "sneaking" what I was eating. I measure the things I need to measure. I am actually tracking my vitamin, fruit/veg intake and the things that I know will make me successful.

My favorite God moment this past week was the "Cookie Morning". My son made some of his awesome chocolate chip cookies. I had one the day that he made them. The next morning when I entered the kitchen my thoughts immediately began lusting for a cookie. I debated with myself and prayed and finally ended up tweaking my daily plan to include that cookie. As I got ready to open the container I was still wrestling with "is this okay, God?" and I prayed "if it's not okay for me to eat a cookie just let there be 2 left that I will save for the boys". I opened the lid and.. you guessed it... 2 cookies! God even cares about my silly cookie!
                                                                        

I am loved and created by a living God who cares about me so much that He doesn't want to leave me stuck feeling like a failure, of listening to the deceitful words of satan "you'll never lose the weight, give up", or of feeling an empty space that only He can fill.
I had a good laugh over Judges 18:24 this week. Michah is asked why he called his men to fight and he replies "You took the gods I made". He was concerned about the loss of gods that couldn't protect themselves.He didn't serve a living God.
I can say with confidence "no one whose hope is in you will ever be put to shame" Psalm 25:3
I am redeemed. I am loved.

                                                                



6 comments:

  1. I love LOVE love when God prepares the fertile soil in our hearts to receive a message that we need to hear. I pray that God continues to remind you that you are an Overcomer and that victory is just one next choice away. Keep at it! You are an example that it can indeed be done, with God's help and reliance upon Him!
    :) Missy (OBS Blog Hop Team)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work, making the effort to listen and be teachable is a great blessing. I pray that the word you have received will yield a 100 return.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED this post!!! It felt so genuine and he artful. I can tell you finally get it (thanks be to God)!!! We ARE different. Thanks for sharing this journey with me. Blessings ~ Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  4. I <3 all that God is doing in you!! I, too, find planning (I use myfitnesspal.com) such a great way to keep myself accountable.

    Thank you for sharing your heart with us today!!

    In His love,
    Pat (OBS Blog Hop Team)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the cookie story! I think it's wonderful that you're adapting as you go to eat those things you truly want in moderation. I do think God cares about those "little" things. He does those kind of things to me too...usually mine involve a mess on the floor and not just enough for my kiddos to have though...I like your way better, lol.
    Have a wonderful day! Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome journey that you are on with God! Your open heart and teachable spirit are really encouraging. I loved the cookie story as well, it's very cool when we stop to think about the "little" things, knowing that God still cares about them and is right there the whole time.

    ReplyDelete